The WESI operates its own cluster of up to date PCs and supports the full range of its computing activities. Currently, we do have a wide spectrum of pertaining softwares that are utilized in research, projects, and education. These include GIS (ArcGIS 9.2 and ArcView 3.3), MODFLOW, SEAWAT, GWM (Groundwater Management), MT3D, TRAIN-ZIN, MAPLE, MATLAB, SURFER, Crystal Ball, SOMOS, LINGO, EPANET, along with others.
WESI houses well equipped laboratories to conduct specialized tests needed by the local Palestinians on water, wastewater, soil, air, plants, foodstuffs, food additives, medicines, cosmetics, detergents, raw materials, pesticides, polymers and feed.
WESI has a dedicated, qualified and well-trained laboratory technicians who are working with concern and intention to comply with local and international standards.
Laboratory services are being provided throughout the following laboratories:
- Water and wastewater lab: In this lab, physical and chemical characteristics of water and wastewater samples are being determined to investigate the presence of natural or industrial pollution accurately either through conventional or advanced methods.
- Food and drug chemistry analysis lab: In this lab, physico-chemical characteristics of foodstuffs, food additives, medicines, cosmetics, detergents, raw materials, pesticides, polymers and feed samples are being determined to investigate their suitability for consumption.
- Biological analysis lab: In this lab, biological pollution in samples of water, food, feed and other products are being determined to investigate the presence of various types of bacteria, mold, worms and yeast.
- Metal analysis lab: In this lab, metals in water, wastewater and other samples are being determined using the ICP-MS device and a set of other instruments.
- Air quality lab: A set of several instruments (e.g. WolfSEnse 2010 Multi Gas Detection system, Air Particle Counter, and Methane Detection Kit which) are being used to detect gases such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, cyanide, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen oxides and other contaminants.
Important equipments in these laboratories include:
- Inductive Coupled Plasma_ Mass specrometer(ICP-MS) Perkin Elmer Elan9000, 2010 model , fully computarized, high productivity and very high accurcy, have an internal standard library for 84 element , it can be used for determining heavy metals in water, wastewater, food, blood , soil and metal alloys with very law detection limits.
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Shimadzue 6700, 1995 model, with all options, and fully computerized. It is capable of identifying metals with a very high accuracy. Pure analytical stock solutions and lamps were brought for the analysis of all metals found in water, wastewater, and soils;
- Gaz Chromatograph with Mass Spectrophotometer, Shimazdue 17A, 1995 Model with all options and fully computerized. It is capable of identifying 260,000 organic compounds including fertilizers, pesticides, detergents, insecticides, food additives, and others with a very high accuracy; Spectrophotometer; and Automatic titrator.