Research Activities and Interests
WESI research activities and interests focus on Palestinian water resources and environmental systems.Such activities and interests include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assessment of groundwater vulnerability to contamination.
- GIS-based statistical analysis of the quality and quantity of groundwater.
- Modeling and management of saltwater intrusion.
- Artificial groundwater recharge.
- Vulnerability, risk and hazards mapping.
- Groundwater flow and pollution modeling and simulations.
- Hydrological modeling for dry catchments.
- Rainfall analysis.
- Rainfall variation and climate change.
- Surface and groundwater interaction.
- Rainwater harvesting suitability mapping for domestic and agricultural uses.
- Storm water management.
- Flood hazard mapping.
- Water Resources Management
- Water resources development, planning and management.
- Water needs/demand studies.
- Socio-economic, tariff and financial studies.
- Water poverty mapping.
- Integrated water resources management.
- Decision Support Systems.
- Watershed analysis and management.
- The study of unaccounted for-water.
- Optimal management of groundwater pumping using optimization techniques.
- Management of nitrate contamination.
Wastewater and Sanitation:
- Wastewater treatment.
- Public acceptance of wastewater management plants and processes.
- Wastewater reuse in agricultural irrigation.
- Impact of agricultural use of wastewater on soil.
- Environmental protection and remediation.
- Environmental and social impact assessment.
Solid Waste Management:
- Solid waste and landfills.
- Urban environmental management of solid waste.
- Health and environmental impacts of solid waste.
- Social assessment and public participation in municipal solid waste management.
- Municipal solid waste management.
- Landfill leachate treatment.
Industrial and Toxic Waste:
- Special handling and disposal of hazardous waste, including healthcare and industrial hazardous waste.
- Toxic waste treatment.
- Medical waste management.
- On-site industrial waste monitoring.
- Waste minimization, pollution prevention, and disposal alternatives.
- Air quality monitoring and control.
- Air pollution and health.
- Air pollution monitoring and environmental consequences.